Evaluation of written work is based on the rubric developed by the Departments of English and Teacher Education. Scores of 0-4 are earned for each of the following criteria.
- Grammar, Mechanics, and Format
A PDF version of the complete writing rubric is available.
Grades for Writing
The rubric scores translate into percentage grades as follows.
- Writing that scores 2 or higher in all five criteria will earn the percentage grade as outlined in Table 1.
- Writing that scores a 1 in any of the five criteria will earn a grade of 65 percent.
- Writing that scores a 0 in any of the five criteria will earn a grade of 55 percent.
- Writing that scores a 0 or 1 in more than one criterion may earn a grade below 55 percent.
|Table 1: Writing Rubric Score/Percentage Grade Correlation|
|Sum of Criteria Scores||20||19||18||17||16||15||14||13||12||11||10|